Sunday, February 7, 2016

Ezra Pound and Tim Earley

At this stage in my ability to read poetry, I consider it a success if I can read a poem and feel anything, somewhat know what it means, and enjoy it. Ezra Pound and especially Tim Earley, then, come as adequate challenges for me. And these two poets seem to be on completely different playing fields. Pound was an American ex-pat who hated America and loved Nazi Germany. Tim Early is from Western North Carolina and calls his collection "Poems Descriptive of Rural Life and Scenery." Despite the attractiveness of that title, his poems are incredibly hard to digest for me. But the point is, these guys don't even seem to be part of the same conversation.
And in trying to compare or contrasts the poems of these two, that's the main difference I find. Pound hates America and its poet, Walt Whitman, evident in "A Pact." Earley, conversely, agrees that "america is the best country to die in" (Poems Descriptive, 23).
A similarity, though, is that I would guess they both pride themselves in crafting poetry that is hard to figure out. To read some of Pound you need an anthology of classical Greek literature and to read Earley you need a long day with nothing to do. These two poets may intersect and diverge at other points as well, but I've yet to find those points.

No comments:

Post a Comment